Monday, February 10, 2014

Letter from February 10th, 2014

Hey all!

Happy Valentine's Day! Sister Bevan are celebrating Valentine's Day today, early, by making dinner for the sisters in our zone. It's going to be a fun time! I actually really hate Valentine's Day...but then I just remind myself that there's all sorts of different kinds of love! So...I like to make Valentine's Day a day, not about romantic love, but the love I have in my heart for those around me (or those back home...:) ). Actually, that kind of came up in my study this morning. I've been reading the New TEstament and just finished The Acts, and started in on Romans. Towards the end of Romans 1, Paul starts pointing out some problems people have. One of them is "without natural affection." I started thinking and pondering on what exactly that means. I think it's just pointing out how we need to love others! It needs to be a NATURAL affection for people. Now, it's not always easy for some people. In fact, the way I like to describe how I used to be, is that I didn't feel things very deeply. I loved my family and my friends, but it was almost...surface level. But, here's the thing. If we are doing all we can to improve upon ourselves, to become Christlike, our love for others is going to develop into something deeper. You're going to love a whole lot more. And I've definitely experienced that! Not just on my mission, but befor emy mission - but it definitely has increased tremendously since I've been on my mission.

Anyways. Enough of my rant on love. This week has been...odd. Transfer meeting - Sister Johnson went home. It was WAY hard to see her go home. Half of the companions I've had have finished their missions, now. That is SO weird! I hope President sticks me with some young'uns soon, so I actually will have friends my last few transfers! haha!

We had the amazing privilege this weekend to have stake conference with a member of the Seventy, Elder Richards. It was so incredible to hear him speak. He is a wonderful teacher. The few meetings we had with him were wonderful examples of how and WHAT we should teach. He taugh of the REstoration and of the Plan of Salvation, and of the Atonement. He taught simply, bold - straight to the point - and with great love. I loved it! The adult session was way awesome! It was about the hastening of the work - which, my understanding is, is that what it is for everyone. We were able to hear the stories of people in the stake sharing the Gospel. many of them were stories about the youth, so that was way cool. Youth have such a great opportunity to share the Gospel! IT's so easy and natural for them! Especially in the world today, when youth who live the Church standards have a huge contrast in the way other youth live. They have the opportunity to be examples and light, and lead others to the truth. Teens and YSAs, the pressure is on! But, of course, not only them, but everyone else! Be examples, show the love and the light, and sharing the Gospel will be SO natural!

What was way awesome was, after stake conference, and the huge emphasis on sharing the Gospel, we went to lunch at a member's place (homemade pizza! The best!) Lo and behold, they had a nonmember there. We shared a message from teh Book of Mormon, and were going to leave it up to him - Jeff - to get in contact with us if he was interested. Then, the members brought up a question he had about where the Pearl of Great Price came from. Bevan looked at me so I jumped in. It'd be kinda an odd explanation as to why this random dude bought som mummies and then translated som random scrolls, so I just started from the beginning, and did a mini-resto. It was way sweet, and he loved it. He said he was interested in learning more, because he wants to find out if it IS worth learning. So we have a return appointment. He is a sweet referral! I love it!

wE also were able to participate in a fireside last night. I love it! It always fills me with this great desire to just share the Gospel. There's no other way to describe what happens is that I'm just filled with...feelings. Almost an electricity. I love this work! IT's the best! GAH!!! So much love! haha! I'm so happy to be out on my mission. I love teh WA-TAC, I love the Gospel, and I love my Savior, and my Friend, Jesus Christ. Thank you for all you guys do for me! I love you!

Sister Beth Ann Root!

No comments:

Post a Comment