Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Letter from February 19th, 2014

Hey all!

this email is way late. (Hope you weren't too worried, Mom!) With President's Day, the library was closed, obviously, and then yesterday, when we arrived at the library, the internet was down. It was definitely a bummer. So, President Weaver told us to email first thing today! It's way weird emailing on a Wednesday. It feels kinda wrong...haha!

Last week was kinda tough. Things just weren't working out and people kept canceling on us. The highlight? Park Day. We walked around, and it didn't rain once! It actually was a beautiful day, and I even regretted putting on my coat! And, don't worry about us walking around at night anymore (although there are a FEW more lights here than in Port Orchard. And sometimes there's sidewalk.) because the mission got us these wonderfully bright reflector belts. not exactly the most stylish, but it keeps the sweet old members in the ward from freaking out as bad to find out we're walking around at night. We found out Sunday that it's actually a topic of discussion at the dinner table when ward members get together. Haha we get scolded by certain ward members every time we're over at their house, because we walk at night. Sister Bevan humors them, while I politely tell them we're doing missionary work the way we're asked to. So, in case any of you are worrying for my safety, you don't need to. People here are worrying enough for you!

After Park day, the weather turned for the worst. It's been pretty stormy, and I've rediscovered how thoroughly ineffective my coat is at protecting me from the rain...haha! Even good raincoats get soaked after an hour or two of tracting! But, it's an adventure and people let us into their homes to warm up. And, as Sister Bevan always says, miracles happen in the rain. So, she's all about it.

Yesterday, we actually met with two potentials, and they both became new! It was awesome! while we can't really tell if they are going to progress, they both have agreed to listen to the lessons and to learn with an open mind. One of them, Ethan, lives on base. He's in the marines, and actually was given a Book of Mormon by someone in the ward! He's really open, and really strong in His faith in Christ. We're confident that if he keeps his open mind, and he's sincere in praying about the things we share with him, he's definitely going to get baptized. He's a sweetheart, and I can't wait to start teaching him!

Life is pretty great. Sister Bevan is really good at keeping a positive attitude, and the few times she gets down, I'm the positive one, and if for some reason that doesn't work, we just call the STLs, and they give the best pump ups ever! The members are taking care of us. Keeping us well fed. (Sister Bevan has convinced me to go on a diet for a few weeks. All this good food has caused us to gain a wee bit of weight...so we're trying to get rid of all of the "garbage" - as she calls all of my snacks - so we can start next week.) there really is nothing to worry about or complain about. Just keep praying for my peeps, and we'll get the baptized! We're also working hard at finding new people, because that's been a struggle, so if you could say a few extra prayers for that, too, we'd be SO grateful!

To end this way random and disjointed email (that's what happens when you email on a Wednesday, not on a preparation day) I just want to say, it has been a year, today, since I opened up my mission call. A year ago, I finally received that wonderful envelope - 5 days late - that let me know I was meant to come to the beautiful WA-TAC. I still remember how wonderful it felt to read the Washington Tacoma Mission, and to be filled with that feeling of just...knowing. That this is exactly where I'm supposed to be. and, that feeling has never gone away. I love it here. you guys, I could rant all day, stand on a soapbox and never get down. I FREAKING LOVE MY MISSION!

I'm so grateful for the gospel. I'm grateful for this privilege I have to spend my entire focus on sharing it. All day everyday. It's what I want to do for the rest of my life. You guys, it's so worth it! The Gospel is true. The Atonement is real. Jesus Christ is our Savior and loves us. SO much! And, it's all worth it. Because it's REAL.

I love you all! thanks for all you do!

Sister Beth Ann Root!

No comments:

Post a Comment