Monday, July 8, 2013

Letter from July 8th, 2013

Hey all! I hope everything is going well for you all in the AZ! It's been an interesting week here in the WA-TAC. I was sick for the 4th of July and then Friday as well. It wasn't like a major thing, but it was enough to keep me from being able to go out...which was really frustrating. I had a pretty high fever - my forehead is normally a little bit warm, but it was burning up when I felt it, and when I'd go out for longer than like half an hour, my head would get really fuzzy, and I'd start feeling awful. Sister Douros eventually restricted me to the couch and would only let me get up to go to the bathroom. After a couple of hours, I couldn't sleep anymore, so I was going CRAZY!! And I hated the fact that we couldn't go out and see people. But we had some laughs.

Oh! By the way! Sister Douros and I get to stay together for another transfer, here in Shelton! We both are way excited! Sister Douros had a really hard time once she realized that she only has 4 transfers left. I can't even imagine what it must feel like. But, I think it's only strengthened her resolve to go out there and get some baptisms! But, really, I can't imagine what it must feel like to know that you're going home soon. It's funny, because when I lay in bed in the morning, as I try to get myself up at 6:30, I think about how I went to bed the night before, utterly exhausted. Sometimes after a hard day, I'm not particularly...cheery. But, every morning, I'm happy. And I know I wouldn't trade this experience for anything. No matter how hard it gets, I'm happy to be here. No matter what happens, I know this is the best thing ever, and I'm so, so, SO happy! I'm able to have fun and find the joy. I'm able to have sweet experiences. I'm able to feel peace. And it's the best!

So, yeah. This week was a bit rough and a bit slow. Either I was sick or everyone was away from home, having fun, so it was hard to be able to teach people. Sister Douros had a few adventures, though!

We had one awkward moment where, we were knocking doors and a lady let us into the house. She was super awesome - her name is Jade. Sister Douros has gone into the bathroom, so me and Jade talked for a little bit. I explained what it was like to be on a mission, and she asked me about my future plans and stuff. Then, when Sister Douros came back in, Jade looked at her and said, "I get the feeling that you're the partner in crime!" I don't know what you guys think that might mean...but I thought she meant that we were a couple...but Sister Douros didn't think so. So, she said, "Yup!" and then Jade said, "Oh, you two are a perfect match!" And then Sister Douros hit my knee. (Sister Douros is the kind of person that hits people. Affectionately, of course! But the hitting the knee just made things awkward.) And, of course, because I felt super awkward, I didn't speak up. I didn't know how to clarify things. So, I sat there the entire time, wondering how I could explain that we weren't a couple...but didn't say anything. so, when we left the house, I turned to Sister Douros and asked her, "So, when she said partners in crime, what exactly did you think she meant? Especially when she said we're a perfect match?" Her eyes got really big and she was like, "Oh my gosh!! I didn't think she meant THAT!!" And she literally drove back to the house, once we got to the car, and cleared it up with Jade. Apparently Jade DIDN'T mean we were a couple...which just made things even MORE awkward! But, it was definitely a hilarious experience. These experiences kind of define our companionship. We tend to have a lot of awkward things happen. I think it's why we get along so well. We just laugh and move on to the next awkward thing.

So...yeah. Honestly, that was one of the most eventful things that happened this week. We had some pretty awesome fireworks to see. We went on our roof - it sounds more dangerous than it is. We have two floors. There's a roof right outside the window, and that's what we sat one - to watch them. We didn't get to see the official ones done, because those started at like 10:30, but the neighbors did some AMAZING ones! People in Washington are allowed to do more than we are in Arizona. So we saw some legit fireworks. Sister Douros has a great love for this country. She definitely has lots of American pride, so we had a blast, even when I was stuck at home. In fact, her family sent her a package of happiness on Wednesday, because of it. It was PACKED with all sorts of goodies. AND a flag! Which, we proceeded to stick out of the car as we drove to show everyone our American pride. We got a lot of laughs, which was pretty great. But, truly, I'm grateful to be in this country, where we have the rights and freedoms that we do. A lot of people complain that we're going downhill. That our rights are being taken away. But, they forget how privileged we are compared to much of the world. It's the problem with our society. We're so used to the things that we have, we don't think about the people who DON'T have them, and then we think we're entitled to more than we already have. We forget the importance of gratitude!

Anyways, I've got to go. But...I was a bit bummed out when I got on my email today and didn't see very many emails...in fact, I just had one from Mom. And Sister Ferrell. And SHE has less time than all of you! Hahaha! But, really. Last time I asked for even just two lines of an email. Which takes like...two minutes. It means a lot to here from everyone. Letters are amazing. But, emails can be just as good. I would LOVE letters from you all, but. please, at least an email. Of two lines. I know you guys don't have a lot of time. I get that. But...I miss you all and would like to hear from you. Even if it's just TWO LINES!!! Hahaha my companion has gotten to the point where she feels bad when she gets emails and letters! And, I don't want to sound, like, needy. But...hey. I am. We're all a little bit needy. And I would like to hear from my peeps.

I truly do love you all, and I AM grateful for all that you do. I know you do a lot for me, and I appreciate that. I'm not trying to sound ungrateful by asking to hear from you guys. I just want to know what's going on, ya know! I love you! Keep being awesome! Go to the temple, those who can. It's the best!

Peace out, yo!

Sister Beth Ann Root!

No comments:

Post a Comment