Monday, March 3, 2014

Letter from March 3rd, 2014

Hey all!

It's just been another typical week here in Silverdale. Knocking tons. Getting wet in the rain. Crazy spiritual lessons. Other lessons falling through. It was an up and down week. It was kind of funny, though. We ended up teaching almost all of our investigators the Plan of Salvation this week. Or, well, tried to. a lot of them got stuck on the Fall. In fact, we only got through the whole lesson with one of them! It's so interesting to me that people don't understand the necessity of opposition to progression. I think to a lot of people, the idea of just peace, harmony, and happiness, with no trials or hardships, just sounds like the best idea ever. Even if Adam and Eve could have children in the Garden of Eden, it would have been boring. And, in reality, with no opposition, it would have foiled God's over-arching goal - for us to learn and have experience. Because, let's face it. Yes, trials suck. we all wish hard times were easier. But, the ability to overcome our hardships and our trials, and find peace and happiness DESPITE them, that is the sweeter joy. That is the joy God intends for us. Because that is the joy that comes from growth and progression. Being stagnant doesn't bring joy. And it doesn't allow us to learn or reach our potential.

I guess this would be the theme of my past week. Opposition and finding peace and joy despite it. In reality it was a really rough week - I won't bore you with the details - because, in the end, even our most solid of investigators, with the most promise, flaked out on us. Knocking brought us, literally, no success. (I think I might have written down one potential investigator in my planner from the numerous hours of knocking we did.) And then, on the day we were feeling our lowest, it started raining. (In typical Washington fashion.) BUT. I am not down. I'm not depressed. I'm a little bit frustrated, but, I'm, overall, at peace. Because I know I'm working hard and I'm trying to follow the spirit, and the blessings and miracles always follow. It's a true principle of, not only the Gospel, but of life. For the first time, last night, I felt better and more...content, I guess, knocking doors in the rain than doing anything else at that moment. Despite the fact that most people either closed the door the moment they opened it, or in a not very polite way that they weren't interested. but, I was ok with it. Because I was content with just going out and working.

Anyways. I really don't have much to tell you, other than...it was a rough week. But, I'm happy. I'm actually doing really well - although I'm normally just way tired at the end of the day, and end up a wee bit frustrated. But, that's ok.

Oh. And for Amy and Stephen's sake: We had a way good lesson with Ethan Barrett, the Marine. we taught the Restoration. He is doing really well at keeping an open mind, and not forming any preconceived ideas. In fact, Sister Bevan invited him to be baptized, asking him if he found these things were true, if he would get baptized. He said he had to learn more (obviously. we wouldn't just baptize him right then!) but if he comes to know these things are true, then yes. It's still not very close to being solid with him, but he is so open, that we know that if he does pray, with an open heart and real intent, he'll come to know they are true. Especially if he has an open heart about the Book of Mormon. It's really refreshing to teach people like him. And, because it's all true, we know it's all up to him. And it's comforting to know that we can rely on the spirit to testify of the truthfulness of these things. Because it is true! IT's all up to Ethan, now!

I love you all! Thank you for your love, your prayers, and your support! Life really is great! Even with rough times, I'm still in love with Washington, and my mission. There's no other place I'd rather be, than right here, wearing my nametag, plodding through the rain, teaching people about my Savior. It's the best!

Sister Beth Ann Root!

No comments:

Post a Comment