Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Letter from May 27th, 2014

Hey all!

Just another typical week in the WA-TAC. I always feel like my emails are way jumbled when they're not sent on preparation days...so who knows how this one is going to be! We did some walking, door knocking, teaching, had a zone conference, did an exchange...yeah, pretty much normal.

We've been doing a lot of walking lately, in an effort to save miles, and in an effort to talk with more people. It's really funny to see people walk towards us, make eye contact with us, and then do all they can to avoid us completely. It doesn't happen too often, but it's just funny when it does. It's really sad how, in society now, people just don't talk to teach other! They're so...suspicious or so wrapped up in their own little world, that if someone walking by waves and says hi, they just look at them, shocked, or just completely ignores them. What happened to friendliness? But, even if we don't get to talk with people, we know it's good to be out looking, because people will at least see us walking about. We actually had a member comment about how happy it made him to see us out and about. I know it's also showing the Lord our willingness and diligence, and I just keep hoping that one of these days we'll come across someone walking who will actually listen!

We've gotten a few new investigators these week, two of which were actually taught before! It's really neat to see how the Lord gradually prepares people - that's why it's important to talk with everyone and invite everyone. Even if they don't listen now, it might be preparing them for a later time in their life where they WILL listen!

We had another pretty neat miracle - well, it was a series of little things that just showed me that the Lord is the one doing this work, and His hand is in everything! We had stopped by a potential investigator's house, to see if she was home. She wasn't, so we decided to try to visit Sue Carson, one of our investigators. Except, we remember that we hadn't brought the Restoration DVD, and we wanted to watch that with her. But, it turns out that they neighborhood we were in was right across from the elders' apartment, so we ran over there to see if they were home and if they had an extra dvd we could use. They WERE home - they had just gotten home - and they gave us one. so, we go to Sue's, and she wasn't home. In my mind, I was like, "That's way weird. well...maybe we'll need the dvd for something else, because that totally was a tender mercy from God that we got ahold of one!" So, we try to visit a few more people. Our list of people to see runs out and we don't really know what else to do. Then I thought of one more person we could visit, Mary Betheson! I think I've mentioned her before. She's a single mom of three kids, working full time, going to school full time, and interested in learning more...just doesn't have time! So we stop by, and she's actually home! She's never home. I grab the dvd, thinking maybe she's the reason why we have it. she says she's been reading the Book of Mormon when she has time, and is wanting to come to church - when she has a weekend where she's not working. We give her the dvd, and tell her it will explain a little bit more about Joseph Smith and what he did, and why the Book of Mormon is so important.

It was such a little thing, but it truly was a miracle and tender mercy. We can't really get in and teach Mary - I'm hoping her life will slow down it the summer - but we can create ways where she can still learn and the spirit can work with her.

Anyways...I don't have much else to say. I hope everything is going well for ya'll! I love you lots, and I'm so grateful for all that you do! I haven't gotten to many emails sharing missionary experiences for my birthday...so I'll just expect them for next week! But, really. go search for a missionary experience. I only ask because it blesses your life, and it allows you to be an instrument in God's hand.

I love you!

Sister Beth Ann Root!

No comments:

Post a Comment