Monday, April 29, 2013

Letter from April 29th, 2013 (with photos!)

Welp, this week was a LOT better than last week! Homesickness is really the only thing I have to deal with, now.

We've been working really hard, but things just haven't seemed to be working out the way they normally do for Sister V.

It makes it a little bit hard for me, but we're going through it. I've seen a lot of miracles this week. The Lord has truly been strengthening me and uplifting me. We were supposed to have two baptisms this weekend, but only one was baptized - John. Chris, who is one of my favorite people to teach, ended up having some emergency with his tooth, so he wasn't able to have his interview, and thus wasn't able to be baptized. He still hasn't found a dentist, and we still haven't been able to meet with him! Super frustrating, but I know it's because he is such a strong guy, with such great faith, that Heavenly Father just wants his resolve tested. I know Heavenly Father only allows things like this to happen to strengthen faith and testimony. It's hard for us - mostly Sister V - though, because goals aren't being met. I take it as, we're working hard! Sometimes things just don't work out! But meeting goals are very important to her - as they should be - and suddenly, the goals she normally can meet just aren't being met. It's putting a little bit more pressure on me, especially since I still am struggling to get a hang of this whole "I can receive inspiration in order to help these people" thing. It's something that I lack confidence in, so I stay silent a lot of the time. Sister V talks A LOT and, it's not necessarily a bad thing, but sometimes I just get used to it, and stop actually trying to listen to the spirit for what I might be able to say.

Friday, though, I had some amazing experiences, because I truly tried to do this. I started focusing everything I could on what the people of the Shelton 1st area might need. And, I saw miracles. It was a much needed respite. Oddly enough, this day was really hard on Sister Villatoro, because things were falling through and not working out the way she wanted. But, seeing the Lord bless me helped me know that we were still working in a manner that pleased him, that are "unsuccess" wasn't because we weren't working hard or being obedient.

Friday evening, I experienced, for the first time since being out here in the field, the feeling of being an actual missionary. The past almost two weeks, I feel like I just kinda trail behind Sister V. Friday, I spoke up a little bit more, and when I had the impression to visit a young girl, Ashley, I spoke up and drove us there. (One of the benefits of being the one driving. Even if I do hate it. Driving is probably one of the most stressful parts of my mission right now! Ridiculous, right?!) And, we visited her. She really was just a potential investigator that Sister V hadn't been able to get in contact with again, but her name was familiar to me, and I knew the area that she lived in. So, this time, she was home! And we talked to her about the Book of Mormon. As we started teaching her, I felt an intense love for her, and a need to testify of the Book of Mormon, and not only that, but why I was there, on her doorstep (we taught her outside.) The spirit was SO strong, and I knew she felt it. And, for the first time, I felt like I was fulfilling my purpose as a missionary (I even invited her to be baptized! she didn't actually say yes, but, I have hopes for her.) and I felt like I was actually using that authority - and the power - that I was given when I was set apart. It felt really good, and it was definitely what I needed.

Oh! We're finally moving today! My address is (and I expect letters! haha I FINALLY am going to be getting my mail that has been sitting at the mission office this wednesday!) 126 E. C St Shelton, WA 98584

Oh. And finally. Some pictures. I know...there aren't a whole lot. I'm a bad picture taker. Pictures on here are weird. Maybe I'll figure it out better later.

The first one: Sister Chatterton! She's super cool. She was one of my MTC teachers. I would have gotten a picture of Bro. Palmer too, but I didn't have my camera on me. But, seriously. She's kinda the reason why I actually have fond memories of the MTC.

The second one: the Provo temple! It's awesome. Oh! When I was doing initiatories there, I ran into a friend of Lisa's. Don't remember her name though...

The third one: Just something I thought Leigh might appreciate.

The fourth one: the standard MTC map pic.

Well, I love you all so much! Again, thank you so much for the prayers and support. I can feel the prayers, and they uplift me. I know Heavenly Father answers prayers. I have seen that countless times in just the past almost month of being on my mission.

Sister Beth Ann Root




No comments:

Post a Comment