Monday, May 6, 2013

Letter from May 6th, 2013

Hey all!

The WA-TAC has actually been super sunny. Yesterday it was actually in the 80s!! Crazy, right?! I have a new respect for the missionaries in Mesa. I have no clue how they do it, because the heat (yes, the heat. Flagstaff corrupted me.) when you're out walking just utterly exhausts you. And the work is exhausting to begin with! Sometimes I can't make it to 10:30, and me and Sister V are in bed by 10. Since yesterday was fast Sunday, it was really, really hard to be out walking - we walked, because of the limitations of our miles. Sister V is doing exchanges (well, the both of us, obviously) because President wants the young missionaries to learn some things from her, so we're going to be driving to all sorts of places in the mission - and I've decided that fast Sunday will always be a driving Sunday. I just can't walk around that much when I'm fasting! I get WAY too light-headed. I felt similar to how I felt when I got my wisdom teeth pulled, and then I almost passed out because I had slept all day and hadn't eaten anything. It wasn't very fun.

We did our first exchange on Friday. It was a BLAST! I went to Tacoma, by The Sound (does Dad know where that is?) and worked with Sister Stuki. She's from Provo, but, luckily, she's one of those awesome Utah Mormons. :) But, really, She was a blast to be with. Honestly, it was the most fun I've had since leaving Flagstaff!! This is only her third transfer, so she said she was really nervous, but she seemed to know what she was doing. I was able to learn a lot from her, and she gave me lots of encouragement and advice. She shared with me some wonderful insights that I'm going to try to take to heart. I told her she would make a wonderful trainer, because of her great compassion, and her obvious ability to decipher needs through the spirit. She was able to address some of the things I needed to hear, without me fully explaining the thoughts inside of my head. Her passion for the Gospel and for learning was absolutely wonderful. I told President that she would make a good trainer, when the times comes, and then requested to be companions with her sometime...don't know if it will happen, but I hope so, because I grew to love her in those 24 hours, and I think if we were companions, a strong and possibly eternal friendship would be created.

I'm adjusting more and more every day. Learning more and more. Saying more and more. We have 2 people on date - Chris is back on date! For this Saturday! It'll follow through, for sure this time! It makes us so happy!! And this 18 year old boy named Mitchell. He just lost a friend a few weeks ago, and has a lot of negative feelings in his heart because of it. I testified to him of the healing power of the Atonement, and that peace, through Christ, was the only thing that could heal those feelings. (How to begin teaching in Preach My Gospel, right there. Good stuff!!) He was like, "yeah, I think it's that peace that I've been looking for." We set up to meet with him, and Sister V and Sister Logan, Sister Stuki's companion, met with him on Friday and put him on date. So much happiness!

We're also teaching this 10 year old girl, Elizabeth. I LOVE going over to her house to teach her. She's such an awesome girl, who is SUPER intelligent - haha sometimes I think she's TOO smart for her own good, when we teach her - and her family is awesome. Her step-dad (well, almost step-dad. He and her mom are getting married in June. I've been invited to the wedding!) is inactive but keeps encouraging her to be baptized. Her mom is absolutely wonderful, and I hope her heart will soften enough so we can start teaching her. Elizabeth, though she says she knows the things we are teaching her are true, is still uncertain if she should be baptized. I know she will be, but me and Sister V sometimes get impatient. But, it's always the Lord's timing! I just hope she'll get baptized soon! She's an awesome girl who strives to obey and apply the things she learns. A wonderful trait to have, especially as a 10 year old girl.

We were able to go to the temple on Wednesday, and that was a wonderful, renewing, and empowering experience. I'm so grateful we were able to go. Afterwards, we had a little devotional, and President and Sister Weavers shared some things. One of the things they shared was about how sin breaks our hearts. Sin and the sorrow of others people's sins. Elder Holland attended mission president meeting that the Weavers were at, and he said that Christ literally died of a broken heart. It made me a little bit sad to think about, but it's true. Much of the sorrow that one encounters on the mission is from people choosing to do things contrary to the Gospel. In an MTC talk by Elder Holland, he states that, since we are in the work of the salvation of souls, it will not be painless for us. In fact, it shouldn't be. We will experience, to some small degree, what Christ felt.

The mission, though it's hard - and quite humbling - is a wonderful experience. I can't wait to talk to some of you on Mother's Day - we can only talk for 40 minutes, so make sure I have plenty of time to talk to Mom!! I know it's Sarah's birthday today. Happy birthday, Sarah!! I love you all. I'm so grateful for all you have had to sacrifice for me to be out here, and I know you'll be blessed. Record those blessings, for me, would you? I want to hear about them, some time!! I love you!

Sister Beth Ann Root

No comments:

Post a Comment