Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Letter from May 28th, 2013

Hey all!

Well, it's been an exciting week. TWO BAPTISMS!!! One was a miracle. Just a downright miracle. If I get the time, I'll send pictures. :)

So, Thursday evening, we go to teach Elizabeth. She's at the door when she sees us drive up, and she's bouncing up and down, super excited. Me and Sister Villatoro just kinda look at each other, a little bit baffled by her reaction. When we get in her house, we notice a card for us, but she told us we can't open it until we get home. I'm immediately a little bit suspicious about what's in that card. We start teaching her - about the sacrament - and when I start saying how, after we're baptized, when we take the sacrament, it can be like being baptized every single week, she gets this sparkle in her eyes and she laughs. We ask her why she laughed and she was like, "Oh...nothing." I grew even more suspicious of what was in that card, and asked her if we could open it when we got to the car, instead of home, and she said yes.

When the lesson was over, and we opened the card, it was the BEST! This is what it said. "I drew you guys a picture of a horse. God has answered my prayers. I want to get baptized! And I want it to happen before Sister Villatoro leaves." So, we run back to the house, plan for her interview for the next day, plan for her baptism for the day after that, and in two days, threw together a baptism. It truly was an AMAZING experience. We've been praying that Elizabeth would receive her answer, and I know Sister V was expecting her to receive her answer after she left. It was a mission miracle! Sister V gets to go home with two baptisms her last weekend, and I get to end my first transfer with 4 baptisms under my belt. Crazy stuff!!

But, seriously. Elizabeth has been such a joy to teach. I have not met a 10 year old girl like her. She's SO strong, and so close to the spirit. She loves the Gospel, and I know she's going to do amazing things. She's already been such a strength and a light to her family. I can't wait to see what she does now that she has the gift of the holy ghost with her! Mom, Dad, her and her family are DEFINTELY people we need to see when we tour the mission. :)

Haha, honestly, I don't know what else to talk about. That was the highlight of everything! It's been a hard week, and I know the next couple of weeks are going to be hard. I'm taking the lead of the area with my companion - I'm not training, so no worries there! - but, our teaching pool has shrunk, and we have gotten very few new in the past couple of weeks. It's going to be a struggle. At the moment, I'm not freaking out, but I have been on and off the past few days. I know things will work out, and I'll be privy to miracles this transfer, because of the difficulty...but I'll have to work really, really hard.

Oh! Mom mentioned the fireside in her email! Did I tell you guys about that? I can't remember. But, it's cool. I was able to accompany two songs. I talked to Sister Weaver after emailing last week, and thanked her for giving me the opportunity to play - it was something I prayed about before going on my mission, that I'd have the opportunity to use my musical talents! - and she told me I'd probably have many, many more opportunities. There are two more firesides and I'll for sure be going to both of them, even though they're out of my zone. I'm really excited, though, of course, it does take time away from working, which can be a bit stressful. But it's all worth it, because these firesides get the members pumped up for missionary work, and investigators who come are able to feel the spirit SO strongly. It's a really neat experience. I'm SO grateful for my musical abilities. There are only a handful of piano players in the mission, and Sister Weaver hand picks us to play certain songs. It'll be a fun time!

Anyways...I don't have much else to say! I hope ya'll remember my birthday! Do something for the missionaries! Help them out in someway, and then let me know what you did! Best birthday present EVER!! Love you all! Thanks for your support and all you do for me out here. Till next week!

Sister Beth Ann Root!

No comments:

Post a Comment