Monday, May 20, 2013

Letter from May 20th, 2013

This past week was SO good! Really hard, but good. Things are beginning to click and fall into place. There are some solid people we're teaching - the problem is, they're really slow movers. They need something to kick-start them, and we haven't been able to figure out just what that is! We have one baptism for the 26th, which will be exciting! We've also kind of hit a block with finding new investigators. We found two AMAZING new investigators, thanks to a referral from the Budges - the one whose place I Skyped at last week - and I'm really excited to teach them. But, we haven't had any success finding any others, which is something that is kind of foreign to Sister Villatoro.

Honestly...I can't remember much from this last week that happened before Friday. Friday was a big day. A big, crazy, hard - but still FUN! - day. We did another exchange. Except this time, I stayed in Shelton, and had to kind of take the lead. It was SUPER intimidating, but my companion was AWESOME. Her name is Sister Packard. She's actually younger than me, but she's been out 2 transfers longer than me - and Sister Villatoro trained her as well. She's this weird mix of Sarah Merkley, Lisa, and Sister Ferrell. She looks like she could be a Merkley! It was super weird! And then, she talks like Lisa, and has similar facial expressions, and...she's a wee bit ditsy...but denies it...just like Lisa!! But, what impressed me most was that she was a missionary like Sister Ferrell. It's honestly the highest compliment I can give another missionary. She has that same excitement and passion for the Gospel, as well as an incredible love and sincerity. If Sister Packard hadn't been my companion for this exchange, I probably would have just been a puddle of Sister Root.

Imagine everything that could go wrong. It probably went wrong - except our car didn't break down! Sister Villatoro kept the phone AND the church keys. So we were phoneless. And didn't have keys to the church, and we had an appointment and the church (which fell through anyway...). All but two of the things we had planned fell through, as well as the backups, so I was scrambling, trying to figure out what we should do and where we should go. It was really, really hard. We locked the keys in the house (that one was Sister Packard's fault. She was nice enough to drive the entire time we were together.) but that was more hilarious than stressful. Sister Packard just climbed a neighbor's ladder to our open second story window. It was pretty funny, and a good way to relieve some of the tension inside of me. Sister Packard was able to teach me a lot within 24 hours, things that I want to study more and apply to myself. She is an excellent missionary. I've said that I have yet to find a missionary that is as good as Sister Ferrell. Sister Packard, in a month or two, just might reach Sister Ferrell Standard. I'm excited to see it happen, and I honestly pray I'll get to work with her again.

I also had the wonderful opportunity to use my musical talents, and there are going to be SO many opportunities to use them! It's a huge blessing, albeit, a little bit stressful. Sister Weaver does these mission firesides, to kind of get the members in the mission boundaries excited for missionary work. She's been doing them for about a year, and we had one last night. So, she called me up a week ago and asked, "Sister Root, I heard you sing! Would you like to sing for us?" Of course, I was really excited and said yes! And then she asked, "I know you play the piano as well. Would you like to play the piano for a few of the special numbers?" And again, I said yes! It was awesome! I only sang in the group pieces, but I was able to play the piano for 2 special numbers. It truly was a joy. And, there are only 2 other piano players in the mission, and one leaves in a week, and the other leaves next transfer. So I'll have LOTS of opportunity to play the piano! It's a huge blessing, because this was something I was praying for. Heavenly Father answers prayers, you guys! :)

It's hard to imagine that tomorrow I'll have been in Washington for 5 weeks. Sometimes it feels like I just got here, and others times it feels like I've been here for forever. It's been nearly 7 weeks since I got onto that plane, heading for Provo. I've learned SO much already. I feel the spirit so much greater than I ever have before, and I have more confidence - and it's confidence, this time, not pride - in the fact that I have the spirit around me than I ever have before. I feel power in the words I say when I testify of truths.

I have never prayed more often, or more sincerely, or more fervently than I have in the past month and a half. It's funny, because, in the past couple of weeks, the sisters I've worked with always comment on my prayers. Sister V loves having me pray on doorsteps. In the past, I've always felt my prayers were...maybe not quite as heartfelt or sincere as they should have been. But, as I pray for the people we come in contact with, I've felt a shift in those prayers.

Sister Packard said she learned the importance of being "sober" from me. She is one goofy sister. I love it! Because I could be a goofy 19 year old with her, as well. I had a lot of fun with her. And she said that she notice that I was sober, and that brought about a spirit around me. It's something that I've been worried about, being too sober. But, in that exchange with her, I was able to experience that wonderful balance of goofing around and having a great time, while holding onto that quiet dignity we are supposed to have as missionaries, and being sober about the Gospel - not necessarily...boring or too serious about the Gospel, but sober. You can laugh and have fun and be excited about it! But you must also be sober.

Don't worry about me eating, the members are taking care of us! Sister Ferrell promised me I'd get fed, because of how many times I fed the sisters in Flag. Her promise was one of power, because I have seen it! We don't get fed everyday, because sometimes we just don't have time! (Sister Villatoro is a very hard worker, and sometimes forgets to leave time for meals. I don't begrudge her for it, because she just wants to be sure we aren't wasting any time, but it's definitely something I'm going to make sure we have time for after this!) But the members take care of us. We don't actually make food, but I'll throw stuff in the microwave. I'm about to stock up on some frozen pizzas today...haha!

This work is hard, but SO worth it! Shelton is beautiful, full of trees. It definitely reminds me of Flagstaff. Speaking of which, I've been thinking a lot about my Flagstaff peeps! Shout out to them! You've been on my mind lately. Hope finals treated you well, and that institute is still bomb! Keep up the missionary efforts there, help out those sister missionaries! They need you! and FEED THEM!!! Haha! By the way...Hanna Swick is the only one who's written me. Ya'll are lame!! Haha just kidding. But, seriously. Even if you aren't writing me, make sure you're writing a missionary! You have no idea what those letters can do!

I love you all! Thanks for your love and your support! I'm so grateful for all you do for me! Keep a positive attitude about life - I can say that because that's what I'M working on right now! :) Keep in mind my birthday in 8 days. If you want to give me something, just do something for the missionaries in your area, and tell me about it!

Oh, just so you know, I'll be emailing next TUESDAY, not Monday. Library isn't open on Memorial day. :) Lots of love!

Sister Beth Ann Root!

No comments:

Post a Comment