Monday, May 13, 2013

Letter from May 13th, 2013

Ok, so 40 minutes to talk to family? Definitely not enough! It was a little bit difficult to get my mind back focused into the work, last night, but after eating dinner and talking with the Budge family a bit - he's in the bishopric, by the way. They are a WONDERFUL family. Very strong in the Gospel. They had a good feel in their home. I liked Skyping there. - I was able to get my mind and focus back where it needed to be.

So, Chris Sherwood was baptized on Saturday! It was SO good to see! He was incredibly happy, and I couldn't help but feel joy at the fact that he had come to this decision. He has made great progress in the past month or so, and, despite some of his trials, he has grown in his faith and has truly been born of God. It's been wonderful to teach him. I can't wait to see him get the Priesthood and to teach him about the temple! He's going to love it!!

Elizabeth, the 10 year old girl, still hasn't decided if she's getting baptized. It's trying my and Sister Villatoro's patience. (Though mostly Sis. V. She really wants to see everyone baptized before she goes home. I have to keep reminding her it's in the Lord's time and she always gives this big sigh and is like, "I know!") But, I know she'll get baptized for sure. She's a solid girl. A part of me wonders if this waiting is for her mom. I really, REALLY want to see her mom baptized. Or at least to start teaching her mom. I seriously love going into that home. Elizabeth is my favorite person to teach, because her parents are so welcoming and loving. And her mom HAS noticed a difference in Elizabeth. Anyways, Elizabeth is still praying for an answer - I was worried that maybe she didn't know how to receive an answer. I don't think I understood when I was 10. But when I talked to her about it, she explained how she came to know that The Book of Mormon is true and that Joseph Smith was a true prophet, and I instantly lost all worry. She is an incredible little girl who understands much of how the Lord works. That's why I'm not worried about her getting baptized. It'll happen. She just needs to keep asking the Lord, and He'll answer in His own due time.

We HAD two others on date this week...but they fell off-date yesterday, because neither of them came to church. One of them, Mitchell, I'm a little concerned about. He says he wants to get baptized, but every time we tried to meet with him this week, he wasn't there. He hasn't come to church at all. He doesn't seem to be DOING. He's lacking his conversion, and I'm not quite sure how to address that. I don't know exactly what his need is, what will motivate him...so I'm working on that.

Janie, the other woman who was on date, is somewhat of a miracle. Sister Villatoro had tracted into her before, and she just brushed her off. We tracted into her again, and she was like, "Oh...sure, come over again. We'll talk a bit." And when we did visit, it seemed more like she just wanted someone to talk to. But then, the next time we visited, she was completely open to EVERYTHING. Then, on Friday, when we had an exchange - I was in Belfair - she was taught the Plan of Salvation, and she was like, "Yes! This is great!" and committed to be baptized. She then went to Chris's baptism and said she was greatly moved by the spirit. She has the conviction, and she's willing to make some changes. We just need to make sure she comes to church, now! I'm not too worried, though. She's solid, and we'll get her to church.

We have a few others we're teaching, that I'm pretty confident will get baptized...but I think these will take a little bit longer. Sister V is used to 2 to 3 week baptisms, so it's killing her. Last night, President Weaver said that Elder Holland made the statement that the average baptism takes 8 to 9 weeks. Sister Villatoro thought that was incredible. she's had the incredible blessing of just having things work out the past 17 months. So, this transfer, with things falling through, and people falling-off date, and people not getting baptized (well...we've had two. That's pretty dang good...) has been hard on her. Our numbers were a little bit low this week - for her. They were still good numbers! - and she gets frustrated by that. But, we're working hard! I know we can improve those numbers, because we can always improve, but I'm trying not to get down because of them, because we are working hard!

We're doing another exchange this week, and I think I'm going to be with one of the sisters Sister V trained. She's excited for me, and from what I've seen from this sister, I think it'll be another fun time. I've really enjoyed these exchanges. I've seen miracles each time - the companion I've been with has been able to put someone on-date both times - and it's neat to see how other missionaries work. I think it's been good for me, as a new missionary. It helps to widen my view.

Well, all is going well..ish. Haha, I'm getting the hang of it! It's hard stuff. I know I say that all the time, but it is! But, it's worth it, because not only am I learning things about myself, but I'm learning about my Savior. this is only strengthening my relationship with Him, and thereby, strengthening me. It's increasing my desire to be an instrument in His hands. Because, as a missionary, that is the ONLY way to see lives change: by being an instrument in the Lord's hands. Change will NEVER happen because of me; it will be because of the spirit. I just need to make sure I'm an effective instrument! One that, preferably, plays beautiful music!

I'm going to try to figure things out with my foot this week. I'll try inserts in all of my shoes, to see if that helps. If not...orthodics? I don't know...I don't want to do that because of money, but if my feet are going to prevent me from doing the work I need to, I may have to! I'll talk to President about it this week - we have interviews tomorrow.

I love you all! It was wonderful getting to talk to some of you yesterday. The kids are getting big! They legitimately look different from just a month and a half ago! Let me know how you all are doing. And catch the wave! Find out some way you can help the missionaries in the ward! My birthday is in a couple of weeks. Doing something for the missionaries would be the best birthday present ever! :) Love you!

Sister Beth Ann Root!

No comments:

Post a Comment