Monday, June 10, 2013

Letter from June 10th, 2013

What's going on, my peeps? Now that summer has hit Arizona, what are you all up to? Washington has been nice and sunny, and I've been working on my tan! It actually has been really nice - it hasn't been as warm as it was a month back, which is good. I don't think I can go out knocking doors when it's in the upper 80's and 90's. I don't know how the sisters there in Mesa do it! It makes me want to die! But, I hear the rain is about to hit again, so Sister Douros and I are soaking up the sun while we can! We have plans to play ultimate Frisbee with the Elders today, which I'm super excited about. I also plan on playing some racquetball here pretty soon. I know there are some courts, but I just don't know how expensive it would be to rent equipment and to get it...but I'm pretty sure it'd be totally worth the money!

This week has, again, been full of miracles. A small family just moved into our ward - it's a really sad situation. They're from Prescott, and the husband/dad was abusive, so they fled, and he doesn't know where they are - and the 15 year old son is actually on date! For this Sunday! So, we have to check still if he's actually ready, but he's super excited to get baptized, so it WILL happen this month, for sure. It'll be fun!

Yesterday I was having a hard time. I began to get really overwhelmed. I was feeling like people were falling through the cracks, and things were getting neglected, despite the fact that Sister Douros and I have been working SO hard! But, Sister Douros sat me down and let me know that we HAVE been working hard, and the things we have been doing have been productive. She then suggested that I get a blessing from one of the elders, so I did. Can I just say, the priesthood is amazing? It is SUCH a blessing in our lives, and I'm grateful that I am able to work with such fine young men who wield their priesthood authority with power and with righteousness. It's going to change the world! But, I was able to go out the rest of the day yesterday, and the Lord blessed us with several miracles.

We have been told that we need to be filling our planners out COMPLETELY when we do weekly planning - which is really hard to do, if you don't have set appointments! But, we were told to fill everything out with what you want to happen. They're tentative plans, but you fill them out in faith. Yesterday, we stopped by a less-active's house that we've been asked to see. We have never been able to set up an appointment with her, so we thought we'd stop by to see if we could. We were actually able to see her; she said she wasn't feeling well, so she said we could meet with her on Thursday. I looked down at my planner. That was the day we had written her in. And then she said at 3:00. And I looked at Sister Douros in amazement. It was 3:00 that we had written her in for. Just a small miracle, but it reminded me of what the Lord does for us. He loves us and when we act in faith, He will provide miracles! This is HIS work after all!

We had another miracle, as well. We have been praying SO hard to find a couple that we can teach and see baptized. We wanted it because we have found absolutely no new investigators. Also, we want to see a couple accept the Gospel and be blessed with the eternity of family! We have been praying and looking, and yesterday while knocking doors...we might have found that couple! It's this old couple, Jim and Mary. They are absolutely adorable! They're super funny. Jim swears he isn't going to get baptized, but it was interesting, because he had some misconceptions about the church that we were able to correct, and they shocked him! Like how we're baptized - we're born again through Christ! That baffled him, because he didn't think we believed in that. They're super sweet, and within the first like 10 minutes of talking with them, they were like, "Oh, we're going to take you to lunch this week!" and we have a lunch date set up for tomorrow. I think they might be our couple. Sister Douros said that when we were talking, she saw them in white. They are an amazing couple, and I WANT to see them go to the temple! I want to see them sealed together! It would be absolutely amazing! They might be our miracle couple.

We have been working hard, as always, but we're always having fun. It's a blast being with Sister Douros, and I think she's one I will be friends with for forever. She's hilarious, and she thinks I'm pretty funny too. There's times where we end up just laughing hysterically for several minutes. She's really easy to work with, and it's fantastic to teach along side her. When she testifies of truths, she works the power of the spirit, and it's absolutely amazing. You can just tell that she gets it, and she loves it, and she wants all to know. She testifies with such sincerity that I'm amazed that everyone doesn't just jump up and say they want to be baptized! Haha! But, it's a great work, and I'm grateful to be here, especially with Sister Douros. She's been a great blessing and strength to me in the past 2ish weeks.

I love you all. Thank you for your support and your love! As you continue to support me - and the missionaries around you in any way you can - I promise blessings! The Lord will pour forth His blessings upon you for your faithfulness. I have been promised that He will do that for you, so I promise it to you, as well. Stay true to the Gospel, and stay true to who you are. This work is amazing, and so worth it! It always is! I love you!

Sister Beth Ann Root!

No comments:

Post a Comment