Monday, June 24, 2013

Letter from June 24th, 2013

Hey, all!

It's been an...interesting week. Lots of ups and lots of downs. One of the best ups was getting to see Dawn and Robert baptized! They were baptized on Thursday. It's been so amazing to see them cling to the Gospel, and to see it light up their lives. They have a very hard life. But they have found joy in the Gospel, and it's the best! And, it was amazing to see the ward step up and welcome them. The Bishop and his wife have done a lot for them, making sure they have food and everything. Bishop Taylor is the best! I have come to love him greatly. I hope I get at least one more transfer here in Shelton - and one more transfer with Sister Douros! It's crazy for me to think that this is our 5th week. The transfer is winding down!

On Thursday, we also had the privilege to have mission tour conference. Elder Pieper of the Seventy, with his wife, came to tour the mission, to make sure everything is going the way it should. On Thursday, we met together as the southern half of the mission to hear him speak to us. It was AMAZING! I have several pages of notes written from it. I was able to learn a lot about how I need to be teaching, and what I need to be learning and improving upon as a missionary. One of my favorite things he said - mostly because it made me laugh because of my companion - was that a mission just prepares you for marriage; that marriage requires more faith than a mission. Sister Douros is kinda anti-marriage, so I looked at her and laughed while she just glared at me. But it is really neat to think of it in that way. He also talked about the Priesthood, and how is works in both the man and woman's life. The only difference between the two? Men are ordained. Women receive all the men do, are privileged to all the same things. We just aren't ordained; we don't place our hands on heads. But, essentially, everything else is the same. In fact, Elder Pieper made the comment that, since men have to be ordained to go to the temple, it must mean that they need something more than women do! Haha I don't know if that's actually true...but it made me smile.

We've begun teaching a young man, Jared Foss. We hope to officially teach his wife, Marissa as well, but Jared is GOLDEN! Sister Douros and I are both convinced that he's going to be a bishop. And more! He's super awesome and really sweet. He and Marissa are going to be sealed in the temple. I know it! I see it happening! Marissa is just going to take a little work. But, we definitely can get Jared on date in the next week or two. Hopefully next week I'll have happy news about them! :) We're teaching a few others with a good solid potential, and I'm hopeful! President Weaver is very pleased with the work that is going on, and I'm grateful he is able to say so. It's been hard work. It's been a very hard week; but it makes it worth it to see the light in people's eyes grow, to see the fire of missionary work grow in members' hearts, to see people cling to the Gospel.

This Wednesday was particularly hard. We were fasting with John Silberman, a recent convert - the first one who was baptized while I was here - because he hasn't been able to go to church, because of work, and we want him to go to church, so he can get the priesthood and go to the temple! So, we were tired. A little bit cranky. And to top it all off, NOTHING was going through! People weren't home, appointments fell through, and halfway through the day, we were stuck. Lost. It was really really hard for me, and really frustrating. We were coming up with nothing. So, Sister Douros took a 5 minute nap - she was exhausted and couldn't keep her eyes open - and I knew a nap wouldn't be a good idea for me. I wouldn't be able to motivate myself to get back to work. So, while we sat in the car, I just looked at the area map, wondering and praying where the heck we needed to be. Sister Douros woke up and we went to a spot that stuck out to me. I'm always really hesitant to go after the impressions I have, when it comes to that map. More than once I've picked a spot that led to a dead end, with no houses! But, we went. And, while we didn't get any new investigators, we didn't get anything that would add to our numbers, we found an opportunity to serve. We were where we needed to be. Then, that night, I picked the finding spot again. I had written in my planner a miracle at 6:03 - Sister Douros has taught me to expect miracles, and even to go as far as to write them down, sometimes! - and so, that was my hope. And, as we were knocking doors, we came across someone at right around 6:03 - I wasn't looking at my watch right at that moment, but I had looked at it a few houses earlier - who welcomed us into their home, and we were able to share a message with him that he needed to hear, and that we needed to give. It was a miracle and it was amazing!

As hard as this week has been for me, I see the miracles, I see the results of this work that we do, I see the beauty of everything, and it becomes worth it. I'm grateful to be out here, to be growing and progressing, and to have this opportunity to be an instrument in the Lord's hands. I'm so grateful for all of you who are supporting me in whatever way you do - love, letters, money. I appreciate it SO much! I love you all!

Sister Beth Ann Root!

No comments:

Post a Comment