Monday, June 17, 2013

Letter from June 17th, 2013

Hey all!

Things are going great here in the WA-TAC! Sister Douros and I have been working as hard as ever, and now, not only are we seeing miracles, but we are seeing RESULTS! We have two people on date for this Thursday. Dawn Penoyer, and her son Robert. They are a miracle, truly, for we really haven't had to do much for them. The came into Shelton, ready to be baptized! We just have to teach them. :) We also have finally started getting some new investigators! Our teaching pool is beginning to grow, and it's exciting to see. I'm hopeful for these new investigators we have found, and I think we will see success through them. It's amazing to see how the Lord places people into our path, so perfectly! This work truly is His!

I also have come to feel myself growing and progressing as a missionary. I still have been having problems, well...speaking. Haha talking to people has never been my forte, and talking to strangers is still awfully hard for me! Sister Douros has been working with me. She's as stubborn as I am awkward and shy. She compared me to those fainting goats (if you don't know what I'm talking about, go look it up on youtube!) because I literally just freeze and don't say a word. She, lovingly, gets frustrated with me, so she's been working with me to help me get better. My biggest worry is that I'm going to be training next transfer, and I can't freeze at the doorstep with a little greenie with me! I'm praying that Sister Douros and I stay together another transfer, though. This transfer has just breezed by, and I can't believe that we are in our 4th week! It will make me SO sad to say goodbye to Sister Douros, when that time comes. She has been a huge blessing in my life. Every time I get overwhelmed, or stressed, or I feel inadequate or incapable, she uplifts me, and then laughs or does/says something to make me laugh, and we move along. She reminds me that this work is a serious work, but we're definitely meant to have tons of fun while doing it!

Saturday, we had the awesome experience of seeing Ann and Joe get married. They're Elizabeth's parents - well, Mom and sorta step dad. It was awesome to be there...but in reality, Sister Douros and I walked away from that wedding with broken hearts. It was SO hard to see those two get married, only until the end of this life on earth, instead of for time and all eternity! I have such a great amount of love for that family. I pray so, so, SO hard that one day I will be able to see them sealed in the temple. Elizabeth deserves it! Through a member getting on the LDS Bookstore online, I ordered them a plaque that says "Families are forever." I did it because I want them to be forever! And, Joe is less active. He has such a strong testimony - especially of the temple and of families being together forever - he just isn't changing his lifestyle to fit his testimony, which is so hard to see! But, I'm hoping that seeing that plaque might prick something in his heart. I know he wants his family to be eternal. He has so much love for Ann and her two daughters. Very rarely will one see a man have that much love for his family - especially when those daughters aren't his own by blood. If they make it to the temple after I get off my mission (which is probably how it's going to happen) I will literally do everything within my power to make it back up here to see it. They are so special to me! Elizabeth is coming to Arizona at the end of this week to visit her dad for a month. I told her if she's in Mesa at all, she should visit my parents. Maybe a little bit silly, but I would love it. :)

As always it's been a really hard week, especially ending it with seeing that wedding, and having our hearts just ache. But, it's been rewarding. I feel like that's been this entire transfer. We end each day completely drained. We work so hard, and we have different sorrows because of things that happen. Yet, most of the time, we go to bed with smiles on our faces - sometimes in laughter - because we find the joy. It's something that Sister Douros has helped me with a lot. Gah. I seriously am going to be so bummed if one of us gets transferred from Shelton this next transfer! It's gone by WAY too fast! We definitely are going to be friends for life! :)

Well, I hope you all are enjoying your summer! Summer here is kind of like summer in Flagstaff. It's really nice - though it sometimes is a tad bit uncomfortable when we're out knocking doors. Not too much rain, yet. But I know it'll come in a few months! Play hard! And, please, please, PLEASE go to the temple! Sister Douros and I talk about all the time how we hate that we can only go once a year. It kills me that I didn't go that often when I was in Mesa - or even Flagstaff! It's so worth whatever sacrifice to get you there! I would be there in a heart beat if I had the chance. The peace and the solace found there is priceless and precious. Keep it in your sights, and make sure you go!

I love you all. Thank you for your support and love! I'm loving it here in Washington, and I'm learning and growing tons! Don't forget to send a letter if you can...;) no, but really. Letters are the best. They always make a hard day better. And most days are hard! But it's worth it. It's always worth it! I love you!!

Sister Beth Ann Root!

No comments:

Post a Comment