Monday, August 12, 2013

Letter from August 12th, 2013

Hey all!

It's been another crazy week! Interviews with President Weaver, getting someone on date, seeing crazy miracles, having a blast with Sister Douros. It's been good.

This is week 6 of this transfer. I've hit my 4 month mark already, and this week I'll hit 4 months that I've been in the WA-TAC. This blows my mind! I've been in Shelton for FOUR MONTHS! I can't believe it! I feel like it's been just 2 months at the most! But then, I take a step back and see all that's happened, how much the ward has changed, how much I'VE changed...and then it seems like it has to be more than 4 months that I've been here. Next transfer, I'll hit 6 months since I've left home...I'll be a third done! I can't decide how I feel about that.

In interviews with President on Wednesday, he said I'd probably be leaving Shelton. Which, I'm ok with. He still isn't sure - he won't be sure until this weekend, and then things are still apt to change - but, I feel like it's my time to move on. There's things I need to do elsewhere, I can feel it! But I'm grateful for my time here in Shelton. Shelton is a very...special place. It's in the boonies. We only have a Walmart. There's not a Target, there's not even a Wendy's!! (Speaking of Target...we got permission to go to Olympia today to go to Target. We've never been so excited for a Preparation Day!! Mom...there's probably going to be a pretty big charge on my debit card...don't freak. It's been 4 months since I've been to Target! :) ) It's a small town, and it's not one of those...wholesome small towns. But, it's amazing to see what's happening as we shine the light of the Gospel down those dark, depressed streets. I love it. I love this work!!

We have an investigator, Gerret, who is getting baptized this next Sunday. I'll be my last baptism in Shelton! He is a miracle. He has dealt with a lot, and from the first time we met him, about a week and a half ago, he has made HUGE changes. He was not happy, not relaxed, just seemed...I dunno. I wouldn't want to meet him in a dark alley. I could tell that he was doing drugs. He had all the signs of a drug user. Last Sunday, he set up an appointment to meet with us at the church. He pretty much told us his life story and said he wanted to be happy - he saw us, saw that we were happy, always smiling, and he wanted that. He was done with the drugs, done with the problems he was having. He wanted out of his old life. So, we told him to read the Book of Mormon, pray, and to come back to meet with us on Tuesday! We saw him on Tuesday...he was a changed man. He was smiling. He was happy. By the end of our meeting, he was practically glowing. We met with him again on Friday, even MORE change! He came to church on Sunday, again, just happy. Glowing. Excited to learn more, feels the spirit, recognizes it, and wants more and more of it! A complete 180.

This is what missionary work is all about. Getting to see those changes. I have seen miracles. Miracles that I simply cannot express. This is why Jesus Christ did what He did. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is a Gospel of change, a gospel of repentance. So people can take their old life, their addictions, their problems, the chains and bonds holding them down, and give all of it to Christ. It hurts to do that, in a way, to know that He is pained because of you...but He allows it, He chose it, He ASKS us to do it, because of the love He has. And, as Isaiah 53:5 says, "with his stripes we are healed." We can be healed. No one is too far down the path to where they cannot turn to Christ and change. How do I know this? Because I have seen it.

I have never been so sure of the truthfulness of this Gospel. I have seen the Lord do all He can to make it possible for His children to be baptized, to learn the truth, to change. He gives them the chance. And, I have seen His power move forth and perform miracles. I've seen things that, honestly, I cannot share, they are so sacred. And it's only been four months!! I can't comprehend this work. I can't. But, I know it's real. God's power is real. And...Satan is just as real. His power is just as real. But God's power is greater. This is a real war we all are in. I feel like I'm in the front lines. I've never been more happy to step forward and fight for my brothers and sisters. It's the most joyous feeling in the world to see a brother or sister grab hold of the truth, and then see the spirit work that mighty change of heart. I cannot express the greatness of this work. The importance of sharing this Gospel. You guys. It's SO important! You literally are helping God save souls when you extend the invitation to go to church, to come over to meet the missionaries, even when you are just happy, because of the Gospel in your life. Shine your light. Because it's real. It's true!

I love it! I love being out here. It's hard. It's so hard. But it's worth it! I love you all! I'm so grateful for all you do to keep me out here, to support me, to love me! It's the best!

Sister Beth Ann Root!

No comments:

Post a Comment