Monday, August 5, 2013

Letter from August 5th, 2013

Hey all!

It's been an AMAZING week! So many miracles happened this week. Sister Douros and I are so pleased with what we have accomplished this week; I was thinking about it, though, and I came to the conclusion that nothing we did was all that special - except for the fact that we were where we were supposed to be, answered the phone when we needed to, and...that's pretty much was it! Everything just feel into place; nothing we did was all that different from what we normally do...but I think that's still key. We were being instruments in God's hand, not because of our own skill, but because Heavenly Father was using us, guiding us, allowing us to be a part of the work. And wonderful miracles rolled forth!

President Weaver decided to make it a mission goal for there to be 100 church tours this last week - there are 95 companionships, so that means everyone would just need to do one. Our Zone Leaders, Elder Elder and Elder Bellows decided that our zone would lead the mission in church tours, so they got us pumped up, and told us to make church tours our focus. So, our zone got 9 church tours this week - and Sister Douros and I got 3! So, we got a third of them! It was pretty sweet! It was really good for all 3 investigators who we took on the tour. I'm glad we were able to do what we did!

But, the most incredible thing of all happened Friday and Saturday. Friday night, at about 5:30, 5:45 - so, we were out knocking doors - Erica calls. Sister Douros decides to answer, though she was a little hesitant to do so. Erica starts talking - she talks A LOT- and rambles about some random stuff, then mentions how she thinks the who court thing with her son, Matthew, is going to take loner than she hoped. She said she decided she wanted to be baptized before it all gets resolved. Sister Douros was nudging me to ask her if she wanted to be baptized on the 17th, since, before, she seemed like she had written off being baptized on the 3rd. I was really nervous about that, and couldn't figure out how to pose the question, so I asked her if she thought she'd be baptized before the 20th - because that's when transfers are, and I'm probably leaving - and she was like, "Oh! Yeah! I was still thinking this weekend!" It blew our minds.

So, we rushed to her place (at 6:00...so cutting our 5-7 door knocking short...but it was TOTALLY worth it!) And we started making plans. You guys, we threw together a baptism in about 24 hours. do you know how crazy that is?! We were able to get the DL to interview her Saturday afternoon - and he's in Elma, which is at least 45 minutes away from Shelton - and we saw Erica Eileen Gonzalez baptized Saturday night. It was one of the sweetest experiences ever, because from the very beginning, Erica was super skeptical - even critical - of the church, and now, to see her holding with all her might to the teachings, and running full force into the Gospel is the most beautiful and most touching experiences I could ever have, I think. Since yesterday was fast and testimony meeting at church, Erica got up - without our encouragement - and shared her testimony. To hear her say the words, "I know this Gospel is true" touched my heart with such force. I might have bawled like a little baby....but to see where she was before and where she is now...it's incredible! She gets it. She loves it. And she is willing to do what it takes!

You guys, this work is amazing. I know I say that all the time, but...it's true! Time and time again, I'm able to witness the power of the spirit. I'm able to see Heavenly Father make things happen to make it possible for His children to be baptized. He WANTS them to be baptized! He WANTS it, and He'll do all He can to make it possible! We just need to be working alongside Him, because He will place people in our path at just the right time; He will put words into our mouth with just the right amount of love; He will allow things to happen to make just the right situation. The Gospel is true. If I didn't know it before, I know it now, because of the miracles I have seen that allowed the Gospel to be shared and accepted. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints IS TRUE! I know it! At this moment, I cannot deny it, and I hope I never will. Everything about this gospel is worth it; it's worth the sacrifices one might make in their lifestyle, in their surroundings, in their actions. It's worth it! Because the reward is SO much greater!

I love you all! Thanks for all you do. Know that Heavenly Father loves you - because He does. I see evidence of His love for His children each and every day.

Sister Beth Ann Root!

No comments:

Post a Comment