Monday, September 16, 2013

Letter from September 16th, 2013

Hey all!

It's been a fantastic week, and it's going to be another fantastic week! We have two baptisms set up for this weekend, as well as another baptism in our district. It's exciting! But, we know that this makes for a hard week. There's going to be a lot of opposition because of it, but I'm super pumped! It's going to be great!

One of these baptisms is Bart Lawrence! So amazing! It will be 2 weeks and 1 day since Sister Crosby and I knocked on his door that he'll be getting baptized. It's pretty much one of the most amazing things ever. He is SO prepared. When we taught him the word of wisdom, he was drinking 2 pots of coffee a day. The next day when we saw him, he said he quit cold turkey - he was pretty miserable from withdrawals, but he's still going strong. It's incredible to see him continue to make changes. I love it! He loves it! It's the best!

The second baptism is Dawn Carpenter. She's actually in a different ward, but she didn't want to be taught by elders - I think men make her a little bit uncomfortable. We had already been teaching her when I got here. But, she's super sweet. She has a few mental/learning disorders, so teaching her was a little bit different, and we were a little bit worried, but last night, when we taught her, the spirit just confirmed that she is so ready. Missionary work is so exciting!

Something that I'm learning a lot about is...just being flexible! The Lord is going to call us where we need to go, and if we're following the spirit, what's in our planners isn't necessarily the most important thing - but, also remembering that when we plan, we ARE led by the spirit. It's all about finding that balance, I guess...or, pretty much, just making sure that you are following the spirit! That's pretty much key! I'm SO grateful, this week, that I was worthy to receive the promptings of the spirit, that I recognized the spirit, and that I listened to it. And then, realizing that you were an instrument in God's hands...it's one of the most amazing feelings ever, as well as quite humbling.

I had the chance to give a talk in the YSA ward yesterday, as well. It was pretty fun. I like giving talks - I know, I'm crazy. I pretty much just talked about how awesome the Gospel was, and how important it is - and that, because of that, we should share it! I talked about how, to share it, we kind of need to be improving upon ourselves. Because we ARE a part of this Gospel, and that gives us responsibility. Doctrine and Covenants 4:5-6 give the requirements of sharing the Gospel. And, that's not supposed to overwhelm us. Because we're NOT going to reach perfection in this life. Instead, we just start where we are, just as President Uchtdorf says! That's all we have to do is take these steps forward, progress little by little. And THAT'S what the Gospel is about! It's a Gospel of change! Everyone can change, everyone. That's why Christ did what He did! So cool!

Anyways. Things are going good. I'm having all sorts of fun adventures. And some not so fun. But it's good! It's great! I love it out here. I'm loving it more and more. I still have those moments where I freeze...but I'm becoming more and more comfortable with being myself - and using that to share the Gospel. There's nothing better. :)

I love you all! Thanks for your love and support (despite the lack of letters and emails...;) no big deal. Oh! Side note. I really would appreciate pictures of the family. I really regret not bringing some. Leigh promised some pictures, but I'd love pictures from everyone! As well as any other peeps who might read this! Just so I can see your happy little faces and know that ya'll are actually real.) I'm having a blast out here, and it's crazy to think how much time has already passed by. Crazy stuff! Love ya!

Sister Beth Ann Root!

No comments:

Post a Comment