Monday, September 2, 2013

Letter from September 2nd, 2013

Hey all!

Surprise, surprise! I get to email you on Labor Day! The Port Orchard library is closed for the next 10 weeks, so we have permission to go to a member's home to email - so we get to email today, while all the other missionaries don't! I feel kinda special...plus emailing is my favorite part of P-day!

It's been an...interesting week. A bit hard. We have been working really hard, but we haven't really been seeing the fruits of our efforts. A lot of people not home, a lot of people not interested, and a lot of being a little rude. We've been dropped, ignored, and it's hard to keep that positive attitude. We know good things are about to happen; we can feel it! It's coming! It's just...not necessarily in the way we want, or in the time we want. Which is typical, I suppose. Heavenly Father's timing and planning is perfect. Those 6 months before coming out definitely testify of that!

Sister Johnston and I are definitely getting along really well, but sometimes it's hard to be silly, sarcastic me. She's always very composed and it's hard to be goofy around her. But, I know there's a time and a place to be silly and have fun, and a time and a place to work hard - but still try to have fun. Would you believe it, I'm actually the calm one of the companionship? She gets super stressed and worried, and I'm trying to teach her to be a wee bit more calm. It's weird being the one who's not freaking out, but I think Sister Douros taught me how to just...chill. Obviously not to the extent where you don't care, and you don't try to work hard to make things work out, but to be at the point where you're not frazzled, so you're not effective. Ya know? I probably should thank Sister Douros for teaching me that; otherwise, I'm pretty sure I'd burn myself out halfway through the mission.

Nothing too terribly new or exciting is going on. We're teaching this sweet old woman, Grace. She and her husband have a lot of health stuff going on, but she's super receptive to the spirit, and it's amazing. Every single lesson with her is like a mini-miracle. She's definitely going to get baptized! Now, we just have to figure out when it's supposed to happen...haha! Because it's ALL in the Lord's timing! Just like little Elizabeth Ryan, back in my first transfer. Then, Erica Gonzalez, who FINALLY decided August 3rd WAS when she was supposed to get baptized. Definitely all in the Lord's timing. Not in Sister Root's timing!

One thing Sister Johnston and I are both kinda stressed about is miles. Southworth is quite a big area - not including the YSA ward, which covers several cities, like Gig Harbor, Silverdale, and pretty much every place I've never been...haha (we normally can finagle rides when it's for YSA business) and we don't have as many miles as...I would like. And, yesterday, we kinda dug ourselves into a hole. Gerret finally got baptized yesterday, and we had permission from President Weaver to go to Shelton to see it. That took a good chunk from our miles to do it. And it was only the first day of the month! I know Sister Johnston is really worried about it, but she was the one who encouraged me to go to the baptism, so I'm trying to stay optimistic for both of our sakes, and to figure out a way to make this month work. I have a feeling we're going to end up walking a lot...and I'll end up losing all the weight I've gained in the past 5 months - Tomorrow will be my 5 month mark!! Crazy, right?!

Anyway...I don't think I have much else to share. You know, it's funny. This last week was really hard. Honestly, I wasn't very happy; I was just having a really hard time, you know? Just one of those times. Then, one day, the conversation turned towards what we were going to be doing after our mission. I'm excited for the time when I can start studying psychology again, and go back to school - even if it is really stressful for me - but, we started talking about it, and I was just like, "Well...I don't feel like talking about this. I don't want to go home. I don't want to go back to school right now. I want to be here. That's all I want. I just want to be out here on my mission, doing work, and seeing people accept the Light of the Gospel." And...it was like a weight was lifted. It was awesome!

I really am so glad to be out here. It's hard work, and sometimes I get sad or frustrated. But, there really is no other place I'd rather be. The WA-TAC is the only place for me to be, at this time. I'm grateful to be here, helping the Lord in His work. It's the best! I love you all, and I'm SO grateful for all you do. Keep the temple in your sights, because it is THE place to be; I miss it! It is in the temple, that we catch glimpses of eternity, where we catch glimpses of our fullest potential. If, for whatever reason you can't make it to the temple, make sure you make the time for the spirit to create a holy place where YOU are. So, you can still see the Lord's vision for you, as well as for those around you. I love the temple. It's my favorite thing to share with recent converts. It was the last thing I was able to teach Erica, and that made me SO happy!

This is the best thing. I hope the Lord is able to make me who He needs to be, for the next 13 months. love you all!! Sister Beth Ann Root!

No comments:

Post a Comment