Monday, September 23, 2013

Letter from September 23rd, 2013

Hey all!

It has been another absolutely fantastic week! We went to Zions Camp, had two baptisms, and just had fantastic things happen!

Bart's baptism was my favorite. Unfortunately, not very many people in the ward came...except for ward missionaries, the people involved in the baptism, and the parents of my favorite family here in Port Orchard (They might have stolen my camera and taken a few awesome pictures, while we were cleaning up afterwards). But, it was SO spiritual. It was so powerful. I was so glad to be there, to be a part of that wonderful miracle. Bart Lawrence is a wonderful example of how God does still perform miracles! It makes me think of Elder Anderson's talk "It's a Miracle!" Because it really is! This whole Gospel is a miracle, and I am SO blessed to be a part of it! To be so closely involved in the spreading forth of it, and getting to see many of these miracles first hand. It's the best!

Zions Camp is right up there on my list of favorite mission experience. I have a few nasty bruises from it...but it was SO much fun! And I learned a lot. I learned a lot about love. There were 5 "elements" or activities we did. I was in a group of 14 sisters. All 5 elements involved things that I hated...haha! Heights. Having my bubble invaded. And the chance of failing. The very first event: The Wall. I had heard about this wall before. It's pretty high, and we have to get over it. There's a sort of scaffolding on the back so some sisters could be up there helping pull people up, and then there were sisters at the bottom helping lift them. So, one sister had to get up there by herself, with just a boost - she was a beast - and then there could be up to 3 sisters helping up. I was terrified. The anticipation of getting up there was stressing me. But, once Sister Graves, one of the sisters giving the boost (I'm determined to be companions with her someday.) and I put myself into the hand of those sisters, the fear was gone. I knew those sisters had my back. And I was safe.

We went on, the next two elements involving a lot of team work, and a lot of trust - and a lot of allowing others to help you. It was interesting that, in just an hour and a half, I was beginning to care about these sisters, wanting them to succeed, and wanting to help them. So, then, we got to the 4th one. The trust fall. We had to stand on a post, that was pretty high. Maybe 2 1/2, maybe 3 feet high, and then fall into the arms of the sisters in our group. From the beginning, I was there, helping catch them, and it felt good! To be hleping them, to know they trusted me, and the others, and that I was there to catch them when they fell. So, when it came time for me to get on that post, when I glanced back, I was just kind of like, "Welp, no big deal! They've got me!" And I fell. I wasn't afraid.

After that, the scripture, "Perfect love casteth out fear" was shared. And, I realized THAT WAS IT. It was love. I just needed to love. When I love, all my worries, insecurities, my fears, could be banished. I just need to be motivated by love. "Love is the motive" We say that at every single meeting we have, as missionaries. Love is the motive. Essentially, Love IS the Gospel. It's everything! It's why we do what we do! Love of God, love of Christ, love of our family, friends, love of ourselves. Love. It's key.

I'm so grateful to be out here. The longer I'm out here, the more content I get. The more sure I am that this is where I'm supposed to be. The happier I get. The more confident I get. It's the best. I'm SO glad to be here! I'm grateful for this opportunity to share the Gospel. There's nothing better. This is God's work. This is His greatest desire, that all of His children know His Truth. If any of the missionaries around you seem to be struggling, or seem to be unhappy, have them tell you why they came out. Help them rekindle that fire, that excitement. Ask them their happiest moment. Ask them about their favorite investigator or recent convert. Sometimes we need the reminder.

I love you all. Thanks for everything you do! Remember, the Gospel is true and the Atonement is real. And, above all, remember WHO YOU ARE! You are a child of God! That means you're awesome!

Sister Beth Ann Root!

No comments:

Post a Comment