Monday, December 9, 2013

Letter from December 9th, 2013

"And we have suffered all manner of afflictions, and all this, that perhaps we might be the means of saving some soul." Alma 26:30

Hey all!

It's been just another typical week, here in Silverdale. In other words, a slow week. We've been out working hard, of course, and we've had the chance to see a few miracles and Heavenly Father's tender mercies, showing that He loves us! And showing that this is really HIS work, not Sister Root's or Sister Stokes' work. It's been absolutely freezing here. 5-7's have been brutal, but we've come across nice people who have let us in and given us hot chocolate or hot cider. Most don't want to listen to us, but their kind enough to talk with us a few minutes so we can warm up. It's been pretty dry, though. I think we're going to get a little bit of rain this week, which means it will be a little bit warmer. I don't know if I'd prefer being dry, or a few degrees warmer...either way...it'll be pretty rough!

One tender mercy we had this week happened Saturday afternoon. We had a few people cancel on us, so we were trying to figure out what we needed to be doing at that time. We went back to the car, I sat down, openned up the ward list, and the first name I saw happened to be a family who lived on the street where we were at. This family had signed up to feed us on Wednesday, but because of some things coming up, they had to cancel - of course, apologizing. We understood, of course. We weren't upset. But, it seemed like the perfect opportunity to go visit them! So, we went over to their house. About 30 seconds after we got there, they pulled up in their car - perfect timing! It just so happened that the wife is in the primary presidency, over the child of record baptisms. She had expressed concern that she didn't know a lot of them or their parents - because they were less active - and she felt like it was her responsibility to know them, but she didn't know how to go about that. We were like, "Hey! You can just go with us! Then we can meet them and do our missionary thing, and then you can get to know them!" It was kind of perfect, and we have a time set up where we're going to do that. IT was just really nice, because we've been struggling to fill our time with product things to do. But, this way, we are able to help the ward, and try to meet some less actives we haven't had the chance to talk with yet.

Then, Sunday morning, we receive a call from someone, asking the church's address, what time church was, and if we could meet with them before church. It was this sweet Philipino lady named Lorna. Her fiance is a member, and she wants to get baptized - her choice. She had been to church twice in the Philipines, and was looking forward to coming to church here. We met her, set up a time to meet with her again, and we're making plans for her to be baptized this month, if all goes well with her fiance (Who currently lives in Oregon.) It was a HUGE miracle! We are so pumped, so excited.She is totally prepared.

You know, the past few weeks have been really hard. We've been working super hard, trying to find people to teach. I know in some missions, you're lucky to find people in teach. But, in the WA-TAC, there are people prepared EVERYWHERE! It just happens to be one of those places. So, I was really struggling with the idea that we weren't finding poeple who were prepared. In fact, we - and the elders in this ward - have been losing investigators. I couldn't figure out what was going on, and it was really hard for me. Still is, a little bit. But, by Heavenly Father placing Lorna in our path - really, it has nothing to do with our own efforts, - it reminded me that this IS the LORD'S work, not mine. I cannot prepare people. It's just not going to happen. I just have to work my hardest and follow the spirit, so the Lord can trust me with His elect. I can't do it my way, I have to do it His way. And sometimes His way means a lot more work with a lot less immediate results, which is a hard pill for me to swallow, sometimes. But, that's ok! Because, I'm learning. I'm meant to learn. And we're working hard, trying to follow the prompting of the spirit.

It's so incredible to be out here. I have my struggles and my trials, my bad days. But, there has not a day gone by that I wish I had decided to stay in Flagstaff. There has not been a minute or a second where I have wanted to be home. Yes, I've missed my family and friends, but every fiber of my being desires to be here, doing this work. It's the best! There is a great amount of joy to be felt. I love it. I Can't express that love enough!

I love you all! Thank you for everything you do. Stay happy. Remember the reason for the season, and how amazing Christmas is. Keep Christ the center of it all, and it won't be a stressful time - instead, it will be a time of peace. Love you!

Sister Beth Ann Root!

No comments:

Post a Comment