Monday, August 4, 2014

Letter from August 4th, 2014

Hey all!

Oh man, this week. It's been one heck of a week. Quite frankly, I'm very grateful that it's p-day. It wasn't a BAD week. But it was a hard week. Why? Because disasters happened to nearly everyone we are teaching. It took a toll on my heart. From the possibility of cancer, to someone's cancer getting worse, to someone giving in to her addictions, thus losing all of her money and her self-esteem crashing, to someone being in an abusive relationship and not knowing what to do, to one of the sisters we're over having health problems and she nor the mission president are quite sure if she can remain out - and she just return to the WA-TAC after being home for 8 months because of her health and all she wants to do is serve a mission. Man. My heart couldn't take it. I guess this is what I get for praying for charity...

But, in reality, it has been so neat to see how ALL of these events have been a blessing. I know. Weird. But, it's true. God is working on these people. He is humbling them. Because each and every person, whose lives have turned into disaster, has turned to God for support. In fact, Susan Emory, who has been struggling with her addictions, in a prayer said, "Thank you for letting me hit rock bottom so I can be built back up again." And then, going to a baptism with us on Saturday, talked with our mission president and said, "I liked the baptism. I hope mine can be soon!" Her heart is softening, and her determination is growing. She is seeking - and receiving - strength through studying the scriptures. She is truly becoming converted, and all she wants to do is do what God wants her to.

The one who is in an abusive relationship came to church - chose to come to church, out of everything she could have done. She's been praying fervently, and after I showed her a couple verses during sacrament meeting, hoping they might give her some comfort, she texted after church asking where those verses were. She is now seeking solace and strength and answers in the right places, whereas a few months ago, she'd probably just looking for some alcohol or some easy way to escape her feelings.

And more and more! Despite how my heart aches for these people, despite the helpless feeling I felt, each day, when some new person told me how their life has turned for the worse, I am lifted by hope as I recognize the hand of God, touching the lives of these people. Not causing things to happen, but allowing these things to happen, so that they might turn towards God. So that they have another opportunity to make a right choice - and that they ARE making the right choice. And we get to be here, supporting them, encouraging them, guiding them so that they know what the right choice is.

It's just as Mormon tells his son in Moroni 9:25 when he says, "My son, be faithful in Christ, and may not the things which I have written grieve thee, to weigh thee down unto death; but may Christ lift thee up, and may his sufferings and death and the showing his body unto our fathers, and his mercy and long-suffering, and hope of his glory and of eternal life, rest in your mind forever." There is always hope to be found. There is always good to be seen. And there is always happiness to be felt.

I've been exhausted this week, because of how emotionally draining it has been for me, but it has been incredible to see how I truly have been given the grace to continue on - just as it says in Jacob 4:7. I've been given the power to do "these things" because of God's grace!

I'm so grateful for the things I am able to learn and experience out here. And I'm so grateful that I can be someone that people trust and confide in - not really because of me but because of who I represent. I'm grateful I can represent my Savior, and that I can, in some part, minister grace to these people whom I love dearly.

I love you all! Thank you for all you do for me and the support you give me.

Sister Beth Ann Root!

No comments:

Post a Comment