Monday, September 22, 2014

Letter from September 22nd, 2014

Hey all!

This week was a good one! Of course. :) Probably one of the coolest things of my mission happened this week. And it may not seem like a big deal, but it seriously was just a wonderful manifestation of God's love for His children.

A few weeks ago, Sister Fowkes had lost a necklace. It's one that means a lot to her, and she had worn it every day of her mission. It had somehow fallen off of her neck and fell down underneath the deck of some random door we were knocking, one evening. She was super bummed about it - more bummed, I knew, than she let on. We actually stopped by one other time. No one answered the door, so we got down on our hands and knees in the yard to see if it would be possible to get it; it seemed impossible.

Friday, I was on exchange with Sister Olsen - a sister who came out with me and, exactly a year ago, was Sister Fowkes' companion. Everything had fallen through, and I was scrambling through my brain to think of people we could visit or places we could go. we went to go visit a less active who normally is home on Fridays...but she wasn't home. So we sat there in the car, seeking for something productive to do, when suddenly I remembered that we were in the neighborhood where Sister Fowkes had lost her necklace. And I had the crazy idea that maybe we'd be successful in getting it this time. I threw the idea out to Sister Olsen, and then prefaced it with, "It's probably a lost cause." But for some reason I just couldn't let it drop. I needed to go find out if we could get it!

So, we go and knock on this guy's door - his name is Ralph - and you could tell that he kind of was like, "Weren't you guys here like 2 weeks ago?" But then we were like, "So, last time we were here, a necklace fell off and fell through your deck...do you think there would be any possible way we can see if we can find it?" His demeanor instantly changed, and he was so very concerned, and agreed. He ran inside and grabbed a flashlight and was out there with us, scanning underneath the porch for any glimpse of the necklace. I was praying with all my heart that we could find it, but I knew I probably was just nuts thinking that we could get it. Then, Ralph is like, "I think there is enough room for me to climb under" and proceeds to army crawl, through the dirt and cobwebs, 10-12 feet, searching for the necklace. He was nearly to the end, and was like, "Man, I don't see it! I'm so sorry!" Inside I was just begging that he would just look one more time, hoping beyond all hope God would perform a miracle. Then he's like, "Ok, there is just one more section that I can't see. I'll move just a little bit forward to check it out." He crawled forward, and there, at the very end, reached forward, and picked up the necklace.

I cannot express to you how incredible this is. God cares about us enough that he will pull out all the stops to cater to our smallest, earnest desires. That necklace means a lot to Sister Fowkes, therefore it meant a lot to me and Sister Olsen. As we sent up our prayers, pleading that there would be some way we'd be able to retrieve it, He listened. There have been few moments where I have felt God's love so strongly. I know that may sound super silly, but really! God cared enough.

Yesterday I read in Lamentations 3:58 which says, "O Lord, thou hast pleaded the causes of my soul." As we plead the causes of our soul - small and big, life changing or not - our Brother, Jesus Christ, will then plead them to our Father. And they will provide.

This was not the only miracle we witnessed this week. Among other things - and just as joyous as finding Sister Fowkes necklace - was that Jerry Whitman was baptized. He is SUCH a miracle! He is so excited and happy, as well as his wife Jeannette. I am so incredibly humbled by their love and their insistence that we were sent from God. I think THEY are sent from God to bless my life and the lives of those in the Lacey 5th ward. I am so incredibly grateful.

I'm so grateful for this work! I am constantly learning. And God is constantly teaching me. And I am always seeing miracles. Miracles that are wrought to bring forth the salvation of His children - and miracles to make manifest His love for us.

Haha I know this email is super random and focused on such a small thing, but I really don't know if I've had a greater example that God answers prayers. It was so neat! And I know He cares, and as we send up prayers of faith, He cannot withhold His blessings.

I love you guys! I hope all is going well! Keep living the word, keep on keeping on, and never forget that God is listening to the cries of your heart, no matter how small they may be. Love you all! Thanks for everything!

Sister Beth Ann Root!

No comments:

Post a Comment