Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Letter from April 21st, 2014

Happy Easter, everyone! I hope yesterday was a wonderful day, where you were able to reflect on the Savior and His Atonement.

This week was a bit odd. I was kind of in an odd funk, and most of the time I was utterly exhausted. But, I'm over it. We're going to have a good Preparation Day, which will give me the pump up I need for the week! It's so weird for me to think that this transfer is coming to a close. It's week 6! I have no clue where the time went! We'll find out this Saturday what's going to be happening to me and Sister Brewster. I'm finally getting settled into the area - it always takes me awhile - so, if I one-and-done it here, I'll be bummed - Sister Brewster seems to think I am - but, we'll see! I don't often keep the same companion for two transfers - it's only happened twice - so I'm expecting one of us to leave. But...I'm trying not to think about it. Thinking about transfer predictions is SO distracting!

On Wednesday, we went to the temple. It was AMAZING! Ah, man, I wish I could go all the time. The entire time I was there, I was thinking and trying to ponder on the questions I had come up with before going, but, for some reason, I just couldn't focus on them. Literally, my mind would just start wandering. I was so baffled by it, so I decided to just sit and try to get a feel for what the Lord wanted me to know, as opposed to me trying to force and answer from Him that, clearly, He didn't want to give me. I was just overwhelmed by gratitude for my mission. And the thought came to my mind, "You have 6 months left." Not in like, the depressed way that normally comes, as I think about how I have only 6 months left of my mission. Instead, it was excitement. Because I am blessed to have 6 months more to serve. I'm not going home after a year. I get to serve 18 months, and that is a huge blessing! I am able to serve for my remainder 6 months, and it's going to be amazing!

I seriously am just so grateful to be here. With yesterday being Easter, I was thinking about last Easter. Last Easter ended up being my last Sunday before entering the MTC. It was when I gave my farewell talk about how the Atonement has helped me prepare for my mission. Now, a little more than a year later, I think of how the Atonement has MADE my mission. How it's become everything. Without the Atonement, this wouldn't be successful, and truth be told, I would have come home after the first few months.

With the Atonement comes the gift of grace. 1 Corinthians 15:10 gives the wonderful line, "But by the grace of God I am what I am." I feel like this is one of the themes of my mission. By the grace of God given to me because of the Atonement, I've been able to change and to become. My mission has shaped me as I've used my experiences and the power and ability given to me through the gift of grace. I, with Paul, can say, "But by the grace of God I am what I am." There's no other reason for who I am right now. For the changes I've made. I have a lot more changes to make, a lot more flaws and rough patches to remove, but it's all because of this amazing grace. This is the Easter message I have to share with people. Because of Christ, doing what He did, I can overcome all things - death, sin, trials, sorrows, and, myself. I can overcome myself. Because of Him!

Man. I just love this Gospel, you guys. It's the best! I hope all is going well with all of you! I love you all, and I'm grateful for all you do! Remember: The Church is true, the Atonement is real, and it's all SO worth it!

Sister Beth Ann Root!

No comments:

Post a Comment