Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Letter from April 7th, 2014

Hey all!

This week was pretty sweet! I absolutely LOVE conference! I'm pretty sure I could rant and rave all day about it. And, we also had interviews with President and Sister Weaver. It was really nice. Though, other than that, it was a slow week...literally all of our set appointments fell through. Everyone bailed on us this week! It was a struggle. But, we're working on it. We had surprising success while tracting this week - only one new investigator, but we were able to teach a lot of "lessons" on doorsteps, which was nice. In Silverdale, that pretty much never happened at all. We've been going out to the sticks in Lacey, to get to places where missionaries normally don't go. So, people are a little bit more open. And, with General Conference going on, it was a great thing to tell people about and invite people to watch. If anybody listened to us for longer than a minute, we invited them to watch. So, I'm hoping at least a couple people did and that it planted a few seeds!

We were able to have a mini miracle with a potential investigator. We were going to a lesson with a member, Sister Banks (who is totally teaching me how to play the cello on preparation days. she's like my favorite person ever in the ward. She's way chill. I can play Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star! Maybe someday I'll actually get good at it.) and that lesson fell through. No surprise there. So, she was like, "So, any back-ups? Anywhere else I can take you?" So, we started going through our list of potentials, and ended up just taking them off the potential list...until we got to Mary! She had come to church before - her boy friend is a member (less active, we think) so she came with him and his family, once. She seemed really interested in learning more, but then had spring break, and she works full time, is back in school full time and has 3 kids. so, visiting her just doesn't work. But, we stopped by, she was home, and totally willing to visit for a few minutes! It was just some good positive contact that surprised Sister Brewster and me! Sister Banks was thrilled and was all about thinking of ways to fellowship Mary. Seriously, you guys, Sister Banks is way cool. We don't even have to ask her to do anything. She just offers and comes up with ideas! I want to be like her when I go home.

That pretty much was the most exciting thing, but it was still exciting! Interviews were absolutely wonderful. I cannot express the feelings I felt while talking with President and Sister Weaver. They go home July 1st, so it was probably my last interview with them. They both were way intense, and just made me so excited and pumped to get out there to work. I have been so blessed to serve, and I have felt myself change in indescribable ways. It's very humbling to realize how this change happens - through the giving up my will for the Lord's. As I've begun to do that, change has happened more quickly and more evidently. It makes me more determined to give my all the next 6 months, because I feel like I'm not going to be able to transform this quickly or dramatically when I'm home. I want to continue to change and to become!!

And then General Conference just got me way pumped again! Did you guys listen to Elder Ballard's talk? Missionary work, yo! I add my invitation to his for each of you to take the time to study from Preach My Gospel. It's funny, I've been telling people how it's says a guide to missionary work on the cover, not a guide of FULL TIME missionary work, so everyone should be reading it, and encouraging members to read it. He said pretty much the same thing, which was encouraging. But, really, read it, you guys! It's new scripture! In the Book of Mormon (2 Nephi, I think) it talks of how there will be new books of scripture coming forth. This is one of them! so read it! Please. :)

The overall feel I got from Conference, though, was just how we've just got to keep on keeping on. Things are going to get way bad fast. They're going to deteriorate faster than they are now. But, we have no need to worry. That's the feeling I got. They were telling us to not worry. We have no need to worry if we do the standard things we're always asked to do - daily scripture study and prayer, both personal and as a family, weekly family home evening, regular church and temple attendance. These things lead to lasting conversion and lasting conversion leads to never swaying or losing faith and hope. It's just as it says in the last verse of I Believe in Christ: "I believe in Christ, so come what may!" I loved how they ended conference by singing Come, Let us Anew. The last verse makes reference to Paul's declaration in 2Timothy 4 where he says, "I have fought the good faith, I have kept the faith." We just have to keep on keeping on. And we have no need to fear. Elder Nelson said, "Faith is the antidote to fear." We've got this!

Anyway, enough of me rambling. I hope you guys watched and love conference. Share with me your thoughts!

I love you guys! Thanks for everything, for your love and support! Have a great week!

Sister Beth Ann Root!

No comments:

Post a Comment